History of OCCSA
by Joseph A. Janesz, OCCSA Historian and Past President
The Ohio Correctional and Court Services Association (OCCSA) traces its roots back to 1928. Correctional representatives from across the State of Ohio met in Columbus, Ohio to share and exchange ideas in an attempt to improve Court and Correctional Services statewide. Representatives from both the adult and juvenile systems were in attendance.
The group met irregularly at first, but as time went it on, it became apparent that the benefits of exchanging information and ideas called for a more formal organization. This marked the birth of the Ohio Probation and Parole Association (OPPA). It emulated the function and design of the National Council on Crime and Delinquency (NCCD). At that time, several Ohio leaders were called upon to serve at the National level of NCCD.
As membership grew and became more diverse, the purpose of the association changed to better serve its members. In 1970, at the suggestion of John Pettibone, a Juvenile Administrator, the name of the association was constitutionally changed to the Ohio Correctional and Court Services Association.
As NCCD became less representative of the needs of OCCSA, the association enjoyed a newfound affiliation with the American Correctional Association (ACA). We are currently an active affiliate of ACA and enjoy its many benefits. Today, OCCSA has the third largest dual ACA affiliate membership in the United States and Canada.
Click here to view an OPPA Membership Application (circa 1957) [requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader].